Puran poli is a classical Marathi dish, which is a dessert served during auspicious occasions and during important festivals such as Holi, Padwa in Maharashtra. Although it resembles like a roti, a poli is actually very different. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puran_Poli
450 gms Chana Dal
500 gms Sugar or Jaggery
250 gms Wheat Flour
50 gms Flour
5 tsp Oil
1/2 grated Nutmeg
50 gms powdered Cardamom
ghee for serving
How to make puran poli:
- Wash the chana daal and cook with a little or just enough water.
- Drain out the extra water.
- Add sugar or jaggery to the cooked daal and cook on low heat until the mixture becomes thick.
- Remove from heat and pass it through a sieve while still hot.
- Add grated nutmeg and cardamom powder.
- Stir well and remove from heat and keep aside to cool.
- Mix the wheat flour, flour, oil and enough water knead into a smooth dough.
- Keep it aside for an hour or two.
- Divide the gram daal mixture into ping pong sized balls and the flour dough into slightly smaller balls and roll them out a little.
- Place the gram daal ball in the centre of the rolled flour dough and close it to cover the filling completely.
- Roll out into a chapati and bake on a non stick tawa till done on both sides, adding a little ghee around.
- Fry till done.
- Serve hot with pure ghee.